2023 Purple Star Schools Announced
Five Autauga County Schools Earn 2023 Purple Star School Designation
The Alabama Department of Education recognized five Autauga County schools as 2023 Purple Star Schools. This year’s recipients are among only 122 schools state-wide earning this designation for their commitment to students and families connected to the nation’s military.
2023 Purple Star Schools
Marbury High School
Prattville Elementary School
Prattville Intermediate School
Prattville Kindergarten School
Prattville Primary School
“As military families relocate to a new community and students transition between schools, the students are often faced with unique challenges,” said State Superintendent Dr. Eric G. Mackey. “Adapting to a new school, along with varying course offerings, schedules, and graduation requirements can be stressful. We want to ensure every student who moves to Alabama is given every opportunity for academic growth and achievement – and the Purple Star School Program helps families identify military-friendly schools and helps the schools become more prepared to address to the challenges facing these students.”
The Alabama Purple Star Schools program was established by the state legislature in 2021 and recognizes the efforts of K-12 schools that are committed to supporting military students, and their families, as they transition to new homes and schools. For schools to qualify, they must have the following activities:
- The school must have a staff point of contact for military students and families who serves as the primary liaison between them and the school.
- The liaison completes professional development on special considerations for military students and families.
- The liaison identifies and informs teachers of the military-connected students in their schools and the special considerations military families and students should receive.
- The school maintains a dedicated page for the Purple Star Program on its website featuring resources for military families.
- The school must maintain a student-led transition program with a faculty or staff advisor. This program should provide peer support for newly enrolled and transitioning students.
“Growing up in a military family typically means six to eight moves during a child’s school career,” said Rebecca Thomas, communications coordinator for Autauga County Schools. “It is our privilege to partner with these families to assist them with transitions to and from the River Region area with services such as Student-to-Student programs in our Purple Star-designated schools, school-based military advocates, and dynamic partnerships with the military-affiliated organizations in our community.”
The 2023 Purple Star School recipients join Daniel Pratt Elementary School, Prattville Junior High School, and Prattville High School in affirming their commitment to the district’s military-connected students and families.